Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Corn on the Cob

We picked up some corn on the cob from the farm and I wanted a new way to cook it. I found this recipe on Recipezaar.com (one of my fave recipe sites, if you couldn't tell!). Anyway, it was absolutely delicious! I didn't put any additional butter or salt on it after it was cooked - it was perfect right out of the pot! Also, I halved the recipe because. I was only cooking 5 ears of corn and I don't own a pot big enough for all that milk and water!

Ingredients:

  • 1 gallon water
  • 1 quart milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional - I left this out since we didn't have any on hand - plus, I didn't think my kids would eat it.)
  • 12 ears fresh corn, shucked and silk removed

Directions:

  1. Place the water, milk, butter, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large, heavy pot and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
  2. Add the corn, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand until needed.
  4. Drain and serve hot, either plain or with the condiments of your choosing, such as oil, butter or maple syrup.

2 comments:

The Fife's said...

That sounds very interesting. I will have to try it. I love corn on the cob.

The Fife's said...

I tried this recipe. It makes the corn more tender and delicious. I still buttered and salted, but I like my corn really buttery. I thought it accentuated the taste. Very yummy!! I would recommend it.